Name:
Location: South Boston, VA, United States

I am a full-time teacher of Literature and Art History at a private school in Virginia, and hold the MA in medieval literature from Longwood University. My research interests include various topics in Classical Studies, Medieval/Renaissance studies, Neomedievalism, Romanticism, the Gothic, Art History, especially Art as Propoganda, Portraiture, and Impressionism, Women's Studies and Genocide Studies.

Friday, August 18, 2006

It's a start...

Okay, so here I am beginning a page in Yahoo! 360...so far, this experience (the 360) has been somehwat disappointing, as nowhere within the parts I have to this point created do I actually see a satisfying representation of who I am and what I am about. It's frustrating to be told to describe yourself in 100 words or less, to list everything you like, admire, and care for in 100 characters or less - well, you get the idea. I'm too passionate for that sort of malarkey and entirely too complicated to be solved or even started in 100 characters or less! Unbelievable. I guess Yahoo! figures everyone setting up one of these pages is 16 years old and too busy text messaging to have time for m0re than a general and basic post.

I'm not 16 and I have never in my life 'text messaged'. (Those of you reading this may be shocked, appalled, or disgusted by this fact, given that we are in the digital age) But I just can't get into it, I really can't. Who decided we should all switch to online libraries and E-zines? Who's running this show now? Why didn't I get the newsletter that explained that everything I love and care about is being flushed down the drain, thank you very much, and I ought to just get over it? Well, since I haven't gotten that particular circular, I intend to keep right on living my way - and that includes a marked and intentional lack of cell-phonage.

My world includes dogs (preferably the cuddly sort, like shelties and golden retrievers) and cats, and babies. There are a lot of sports events. Books as far as the eye can see (preferably hardback and old, with cream colored pages and maybe even a little gilding on the edges!) Beautiful, calming music (or, alternately, music so loud and exciting you have to get up off the seat and dance). Lots of tea, plenty of red wine, chocolate and more chocolate. People who actually give two shits about philosophy and art and beauty and the political system and the future of the country and not just their own little selves. In my world there is a decided lack of money, materialism, capitalism and any other "ism" really.

Sound good? You're welcome to join me anytime. Pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and let's chat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home