Name:
Location: South Boston, VA, United States

I am a full-time teacher of Literature and Art History at a private school in Virginia, and hold the MA in medieval literature from Longwood University. My research interests include various topics in Classical Studies, Medieval/Renaissance studies, Neomedievalism, Romanticism, the Gothic, Art History, especially Art as Propoganda, Portraiture, and Impressionism, Women's Studies and Genocide Studies.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Finding the Rhythm

Well, we're on the second-to-last week of rehearsals - Tech Sunday (AKA Black Sunday, because you have to black out the entire day on your calendar, it's so gone once rehearsal begins) looms, and things are getting hot and heavy as we scramble to find the rhythm of this play.

The music is gorgeous, and we're doing a credible job with the vocals, although everyone and his dog has had at least one case of the sniffles; I drink honey tea even as I type this. There are some breakout moments in rehearsal, when everyone just stops and goes, "Oh, yeah, THAT was chills up and down my spine" - but overall, we have yet to find any gel, either in the performances individually or in the
piece itself. The best of our principals are still having trouble nailing down their characters; the worst of our principals aren't even off the book yet(?!?!) and every scene is a grueling test of endurance and willpower as the director, musical director, and choreographer butt heads and/or decide to start over from scratch.

With the role of the snake and that of a storyteller in the ensemble as well as a soloist, plus understudying the Yonah role, I am finding this an increasingly schizophrenic experience. Everything is chaos, and it's been very difficult to find quiet moments to reflect and try to get into the heads of my characters. Mainly, I'm working it out in the car, commuting to and from work and to and from my evening class. At home, chaos reigns supreme - if it weren't for my husband, there wouldn't be a clean dish or piece of underwear in our house, period. My two year old is growing increasingly jealous of Mommy's time as rehearsal stretch longer and longer and she sees me less and less. (I think my husband may well be suffering the same feeling, he's just better at handling it than she is!)

It's not enough to know the lines and to sing them on key - anyone knows that. The most important part is to bring yourself to the character, introduce yourselves, and get into his/her head. This makes multiple roles a major challenge, particularly for the amateur actor with a full-time job, family, and other commitments above and beyond theatre. Throw in a head cold, and you've got a nervous breakdown in the making!

I am in awe of the amount of talent we have in our community. The voices are phenomenal, and most of the cast is really bringing their hearts and souls to rehearsal every night. It's frustrating to see so much in the way of ability, talent, and drive, and still be so far from where we wanted to be at this point. (Particularly when I've been out until 11:00 at rehearsal three nights running and the alarm wakes me up at 5:00 each following morning.)

I love this show, and I think we may have a really amazing experience ahead of us when the curtain goes up. I just hope that we can find the rhythm on stage and that I can find the rhythm in my life to make it possible for us all to just be transported into euphoriaville.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home